Here are some handy pointers (and a couple case studies) on how to handle that moment when your buddy becomes your boss by the author of the HBR Guide to Dealing with Conflict at Work, Amy Gallo.
- Openly acknowledge that your former peer is now in charge and you intend to work well with her
- Put yourself in his shoes and try to figure out what will help him be successful
- Set yourself apart by being willing to share concerns and deliver bad news
- Assume that your relationship won’t change. It will — and should.
- Expect that you will get special treatment because you’ve worked with the boss before
- Kiss up. Many people do, but your new boss will be wary of such behaviour.